29905560

I arranged through a company called Rightio to get an

I arranged through a company called Rightio to get an electrician to come to my house to put some plugs in 2 rooms. The date arranged was Wednesday 7th September between 9 and 12 o'clock - for whatever reason the Electrician didn't turn up until 4pm when it was too late to do the work.The Electrician is subcontracted by Rightio. when he arrived he looked at what work needed to be done and we both agreed that he would come in at 9am (first job) on Wednesday 14th - he arranged this with Rightio on the phone with me in the room.
So On Wednesday 14th the Electrician didn't arrive at 9am as discussed so I called Rightio to be told that he would be with me between 9 and 12 - which I said was not discussed - so i told them to tell him not to bother coming over - I rang back again and told them that that was fine -to be told that he was running late and would be with me at approx 1 o'clock - which i said was fine - about half an hour later I had a call to say that unfortunately the Electrician had cancelled my appointment (because i had done so) and that the best day would be next Friday at which point I said forget it - i was then told that i would be charged £109 for the visit at 4pm last Wednesday 7th - which i said i wouldn't pay - to be told that they would then send a debter letter - where do I stand with such shoddy service?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

When the electrician did not attend at the scheduled time on the Wednesday, had you received any notification of his delay prior to him coming at 4pm?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
only when I called to find out where he was
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Rightio couldn't get hold of their subcontactor until later in the afternoon

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
are you still there Ben?

Hi there. Thank you for your response. I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

Just one more question - were you at any point told that there would be a charge for visiting and were these fees discussed with you before the visit?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
we were told that the fees were £109 per hour - not sure if we were told that there was a charge for visiting.

Ok thank you. If you were simply told that the fees were £109 per hour then one would assume that these fees were for when work is actually undertaken, rather than just as a call out charge. Had the electrician turned up at the pre-arranged time then the work would have been completed and you would have paid them as normal for the work done. However, due to an unreasonable delay, by the time they turned up it was too late to complete the work and you should not be charged as a result of this as it was caused through no fault of your own and you did not have any work done, so you are basically just paying for the electrician turning up late and not in accordance with the pre-agreed times. As such you should not have to pay these fees which are unreasonable in the circumstances.

They may have threatened to send you a debtor letter but that does not really mean anything – it is just a request by them for you to pay the money, it does not give them any powers to force you to pay or adversely affect you or your credit score in any way. They would only be able to force you to pay if they took the matter to court and won, which in the circumstances is unlikely. So you can ignore these debtor requests they threaten you with and know that unless they win in court, they cannot really do much. You would get plenty of formal notifications when a claim is made to reconsider your position, but for the amount pursued and considering how this amount became due, I do not realistically see them going as far as court.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you