Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

The owner of the stolen motorbike placed an advertisement in

The owner of the stolen motorbike placed an advertisement in the local paper stating that a reward of £500.00 will be given to any person who provides information leading to the recovery of the motorbike, provided the reward is claimed by 1 June.
Having found the motorbike which had been damaged, my wife tells me about the reward, I applied for it by post on 31st May. The owner has stated that he did not receive the letter until the 2nd June and is refusing to pay the award
Am I entitled to insist on the reward
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund of the £500 within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The owner has confirmed that he has taken legal advise and the under contract law he is in the right, can you confirm what grounds I have under contract law to insist that this is a creditable offer and acceptance of a contract

Contract law. It was an offer you accepted it on 31st May. Therefore in law its called the postal rule. You accept when you post the letter.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!