Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My wife and I separated a few years ago and I would like to

My wife and I separated a few years ago and I would like to transfer the owenrship of the property we own to her. I am the outright owner, only my name is ***** ***** deeds and I pay the mortgage. I would continue to pay the mortgage, but would like legal ownership to be hers. I have her full consent for this arrangement. Can you please advise the required steps ?
Many thanks,
Joe Birkett
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry. Before you can proceed, you will need to obtain the consent of the Mortgage Lender as the Mortgage will need to be transferred into your wife's name (whoever's name is ***** ***** Deeds will also need to be on the Mortgage). So, provided your wife could afford to pay the Mortgage, in the eyes of the Lender, they will grant consent.

Subject to the above, the procedure is pretty straight forward- you would both need to instruct separate Solicitors to deal with the Transfer. Your Solicitor would need to prepare the Land Registry Transfer document, which is signed by both of you, and then registered at the Land Registry.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al