Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We have a supplier who back in June agreed to install some

We have a supplier who back in June agreed to install some wireless devices for a customer after a few calls they the decided they required a deposit payment of £500.00 which was paid in good faith, they then decided the deal was not profitable for them and pulled out at the last minute, we had a outstanding invoice of £1628 for another job they did complete. we agreed via email to take off the £500.00 and we would pay the balance of the invoice, we need a credit for the invoice which we never received today I received a mail stating if we donot pay the full amount they will take the co to court plus costs I sent them the mail agreeing to minus the £500.00 they replied we are clutching at straws see in court.
Could you let me know how we stand - we lost a customer we could not proceed because of the skills required which gave the co a loss of 2500 + reputation
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Why has the company refused to pay you back the £500 deposit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WE were going to take it off the original invoice for the balance owed for another job they did
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Did they initially agree to do the work, you have this in writing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
via email
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Ok - then what you could even do is subtract the EXTRA cost that this job cost you.

For example if the order from this supplier was £1000 and it ended up costing you £500 you could claim this additional cost back,
So you have a claim for the additional cost and the £500 deposit.

You are entitled to deduct it - they simply can NOT keep it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when they wend the claim through we deduct the amounts it has cost us a counter claim ?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Correct. If they send a claim through you can counter claim for the deposit plus excess costs

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you..
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

All the best.