Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I'm not sure if this is a legal question or not. I live in

Customer Question

I'm not sure if this is a legal question or not. I live in Warminster Wiltshire and for the last two years my neighbours and I have had trouble with rats. Several neighbours and I have paid for the Wiltshire Pest Control service. This helps for a month or two and then they are back. Apparently Wiltshire Council are aware of the problem but can do nothing as they don't know where these animals are coming from!!! This morming I had a dying rat on my lawn, very distressing, as although I'm frightened of them, watching an animal die in front of you isn't fun. I wonder if there is any way of insisting Wiltshire Council take this problem more seriously than they are, what or who do I contact? I would be so grateful for any thoughts you may have on this problem.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Just to be clear, no one knows where they are coming from?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Apparently not, I feel that they come from my neighbours garden, but to be fair, my neighbour doesn't breed then so they still have to come from somewhere. The Pest Control officer checked the drains with the water board, and said the drains were sound.

Ah I see, that makes it difficult. Your only option is under the prevention of damage by pests act 1949.

This states:

2Duties of local authorities.

(1)It shall be the duty of every local authority to take such steps as may be necessary to secure so far as practicable that their district is kept free from rats and mice, and in particular—

(a)from time to time to carry out such inspections as may be necessary for the purpose aforesaid;

(b)to destroy rats and mice on land of which they are the occupier and otherwise to keep such land so far as practicable free from rats and mice;

(c)to enforce the duties of owners and occupiers of land under the following provisions of this Part of this Act, and to carry out such operations as are authorised by those provisions.

You should write and ask them to discharge their obligations. If they refuse then you should make a formal written complaint to the Chief Officer. That office will investigate the matter and report back to you.

if that does not work your final option is to complain to the Local Government Ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service and can examine your complaint at: www.lgo.org.uk

But follow the above steps, it should resolve your issue

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you so much for your advice. It's given me hope that I can solve this. I have been fobbed off so often.

All the best.