How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 643
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I'm not sure if this is a legal question or not. I live in

Customer Question

I'm not sure if this is a legal question or not. I live in Warminster Wiltshire and for the last two years my neighbours and I have had trouble with rats. Several neighbours and I have paid for the Wiltshire Pest Control service. This helps for a month or two and then they are back. Apparently Wiltshire Council are aware of the problem but can do nothing as they don't know where these animals are coming from!!! This morming I had a dying rat on my lawn, very distressing, as although I'm frightened of them, watching an animal die in front of you isn't fun. I wonder if there is any way of insisting Wiltshire Council take this problem more seriously than they are, what or who do I contact? I would be so grateful for any thoughts you may have on this problem.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Just to be clear, no one knows where they are coming from?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Apparently not, I feel that they come from my neighbours garden, but to be fair, my neighbour doesn't breed then so they still have to come from somewhere. The Pest Control officer checked the drains with the water board, and said the drains were sound.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Ah I see, that makes it difficult. Your only option is under the prevention of damage by pests act 1949.

This states:

2Duties of local authorities.

(1)It shall be the duty of every local authority to take such steps as may be necessary to secure so far as practicable that their district is kept free from rats and mice, and in particular—

(a)from time to time to carry out such inspections as may be necessary for the purpose aforesaid;

(b)to destroy rats and mice on land of which they are the occupier and otherwise to keep such land so far as practicable free from rats and mice;

(c)to enforce the duties of owners and occupiers of land under the following provisions of this Part of this Act, and to carry out such operations as are authorised by those provisions.

You should write and ask them to discharge their obligations. If they refuse then you should make a formal written complaint to the Chief Officer. That office will investigate the matter and report back to you.

if that does not work your final option is to complain to the Local Government Ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service and can examine your complaint at:

But follow the above steps, it should resolve your issue

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 643
Experience: Solicitor
Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much for your advice. It's given me hope that I can solve this. I have been fobbed off so often.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

All the best.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice