12826847

I am my mums carer and 3 years ago I noticed mum was getting

Customer Question

Hello,I am my mums carer and 3 years ago I noticed mum was getting very forgetful so took her to the doctors and she was diagnosed with dementia.On this diagnosis my two older sisters swooped in and took mum to a solicitor and gained power of attorney and deputy.I wasn't even informed of this and was deeply hurt as I had been looking after mum for 5 years.To cut a long story short I now believe the power of attorney to be invalid and I don't feel my sisters have mums best interest at heart as the one with the power only comes once or twice a week for half an hour and the deputy just once a month if she's lucky.I have asked for the name and address of mums solicitor to contact him but they won't give it to me even though mum has said she wants me to know,what can I do.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Is it a Power of attorney or was a deputyship applied for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My elder sister has power of attorney,with my other sister as her deputy.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Has the power been Registered?

Why do you believe it is invalid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it may be invalid,but I also don't believe they are acting in mums best interest.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Has it been registered and what make you believe that it is invalid

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been registered,but I was never told about it as an interested party(being the third sister) and yet mum insists that I was on it.If she didn't put me on it I believe she was coerced into leaving me off by my sisters,but mum insists that she didn't sign anything to stop me being informed about said power of attorney.I need to find out who mums solicitor is so that I can get myself a solicitor to look into this for me.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Have you contacted the Office of the Official Solicitor regarding the issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have no idea who it is or how to contact him.