F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Citizen and I was a victim of internet fraud. I have paid on

I am Croatian citizen and I was a victim of internet fraud.
I have paid on Barclays bank account in UK almost 7,000$ for custom and immigration service for US working visa permit and for Clifftrustassurance travel insurance.
I do have all receipts and e-mail correspondence.
Person or persons are no longer respond on emails, web page are unavailable as well as phone numbers.
What can I do at least to stop those scammers further “business”.
Thanks,
Igor
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

You can refer the matter to the police but they will probably tell you to contact Action Fraud to whom these kind of fraudulent matters are referred. I’m sorry to say that the chances of getting your money back are slim.

If you pay by credit card, you could file a section 75 Consumer Credit Act claim and the credit card company would refund you.

If you paid by debit card, once again, if the service is not been received, the bank can charge back from the card.

If you paid by bank transfer, directly from your bank account, there is no way of reversing that process and even if there was, could well find that the account that the money was paid into has now been emptied and closed and many of these accounts actually belong to 3rd partieswho themselves have been the victim of fraud by having their own accounts taken over.

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails. Best wishes.

FES.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have sent an email to Barclays bank in UK and let them know what happened.
I understand that bank is not a police or investigation office but need to be a way to find out who are in fact those persons since I do have bank account # and names.