Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My company bought a web domain ... my business partner paid

Customer Question

my company bought a web domain ... my business partner paid for it with his credit card i think but we refunded him the money..
the company has since been dissolved but he is still using the web domain.. it is a very valuable asset and realistically should have been included in the liquidation...
for him to be using it now is misleading as it suggests we are still trading and i would expect him to pay me as the fifty percent partner for use of this domain..
what legal action can i take and where do we stand...
the domain was inuse for five years and every email and correspondence was including this domain
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks ben
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok

Hi there. Apologies for the delay. How long ago was this purchased?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok.. so the domain.. was purchased in 2012
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the company wound up in 2015
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the domain was purchased in 2012
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my business partner open a new company in virtually the same name..and is using the domain

Hi there. I will need to opt out of this question so that another expert better placed in this matter can assist you. Thank you

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

I assume you want the domain name?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi jamie... i am happy for him to use the domain,, but i would expect payment from him ...he has hidden the asset from the liquidator... but i would expect payment if he using the domain commercially

did the wound up company have creditors?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
mmm... he handled the liquidation and i believe he made himself a creditor..

So no official liquidator was appointed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
aabrs

if it was your company as well, you would know whether he made himself a creditor?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i was informed by the liquidator but was not aware how financially he did this

Ok - sadly there is not much you can do yourself.

It is the Liquidator that should be charging for the domain. It may be that it was sold by the Liquidator to him. If that is the case then unless his claim as a creditor was fraudulent there is not much you can do.

But in any event, the Liquidator would have to take action - not you.

Its a matter between the Liquidator and him. You could have challenged him as a creditor earlier on but in any event the Liquidator wont take anyone's word for it - they will want evidence of any debt.

But go back to the Liquidator and point out your concerns. They may be able to take action

I am sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.