29905560

In a situation where a bookmaker claims to have made a

Customer Question

In a situation where a bookmaker claims to have made a 'typing error' in their odds. Writing 51-1 instead of 2-1. In a case where I do not believe it to be a mistake. Can they cancel my bet claiming a unilateral mistake?
What would be important things to consider here?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

How long ago was this? Please can you also tell me whether this was online or in person? Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For Ben Jones,
Hi Ben,
The Bet was online, it was placed in June and cancelled in August. It was a bet on the olympics and it was cancelled on the morning of the final. After the heat and semi-final had taken place. I have attached an LBA which i sent to them. Please could you adise whether you think I have a case in court. Many thanks,
Frazierp.s. Since the LBA they have offered to pay the bet at their "correct" odds of 3-1 (which I do not beleive are fair). I am refusing this offer.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi Frazier. Thank you for your response and for the attachment; please leave it with me. I am in court for the rest of today so I will prepare my advice in a while and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben,Many thanks, ***** ***** forward to your response.
Good luck in court.Frazier
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

No problem at all and thank you very much.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your patience. So they do appear to have a clause which covers apparent errors in odds, which can happen from time to time, just in the same way as retailers sometimes advertise items at the wrong price. This is more formally known as a ‘palpable error’. The issue really is whether the argument that the odds were incorrect is a valid one or if this is just an excuse on their part. This is a matter of fact and it would depend on what went on in the background so really you want to ask them for some evidence of how this error came to be and for them to explain how it actually became an error and what the ‘correct’ odds should have been. Obvious errors, e.g. 20/1 when it should have been 2/1 and evidence that these were approximate odds offered by other will unlikely be challengeable. It is unlikely that the UTCCR will automatically make such a clause void because such terms have been in force for years in betting agreements and there were even suggestions some time ago to officially remove them, which never happened. So they can be valid and enforceable.

Before you consider the small claims court I suggest you contact the Independent Betting Arbitration Service who can arbitrate such disputes:

Tel:(###) ###-####5883

Email:***@******.***

Web: www.ibas-uk.com

In terms of going to court, the good thing to bear I mind is that this will be in the small claims court so even if you lose you will not have to pay their legal fees and it would be a relatively low risk option so could be worth trying.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.