29905560

RE: Altering Song Lyrics for a comedy show: I am planning to

RE: Altering Song Lyrics for a comedy show:
I am planning to write a one woman show for myself to perform in which the character starts to sing well known songs but alters the lyrics to the odd line here and there (or maybe a whole chorus etc.) for comedic effect. In no way would I be sending up the song (as I have huge respect for the writers and singers of such songs) - it is more a way of sending up the character, and showing her flaws. What rights do I need and how to do I go about paying for these when the time comes to perform the show? ps. Nothing has been written yet!
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Would would the target audience be? Also, would they be paying? Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Target audience would be fee paying audience members at fringe theatres, pub theatres, possible small nationwide arts style theatres and even, eventually, Edinburgh Fringe. I am a trained actress and have written/performed my own shows (masters in script/playwriting) but this would be a bigger scaled and more organised situation.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Ben, do you require more information from me? I touch type so don't require a phone call, thank you. J.

Hi there Janet. No problem at all; please leave it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Many thanks Ben. That's great. I am itching to get writing! j.

No problem at all. I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

Many thanks for your patience. The issue with royalties can be a bit of a minefield as there are as many different artists and not all will necessarily be covered by the same royalties companies so you could be going from one to another to try and find out which covers who. However, you could consider getting a blanket licence allowing you to use commercial music and the best organisation to approach for this would be PRS for music – they could also your questions in relation to what options you have to use music in the way you had intended and also what a licence would cover you for.

You should contact tem on 0345(###) ###-####and they will be able to direct you to the most appropriate licence and the fees you have to pay to be able to use the music you want.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dear BenThat's great. Thank you, ***** ***** give them a call. I have another query relating to a possible strand of my story line but wondered if this conversation is still public before I 'put it out there'. Obviously I understand if I have to pay for this second query.ps. Happy to give you a great rating - do I do that now or after my potential second question?Kind Regards
Jan

Hi there this is a public forum so don't post anything you do not want others to potentially see. For other queries please kindly post a new question and if I can I will gladly help. Thank you

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. Thank you Ben.

No problem