12826847

I don't know if you can help me? I was released from Prison

Hello, I don't know if you can help me? I was released from Prison on 11th August after completing my sentence . I am monitored by the PPU Public Protection Unit. However I have just moved into a permanent address in a different area and today two new officers visited me. They asked me a lot of questions etc but asked to check my computer . I agreed but the device did't work .This was purely voluntary however I felt compelled to allow it. They asked if I would be prepared to have adeice loaded whereby they can monitor my internet usage. I am very woried that if I deney them to check my computer it will aggravate my freedom. Please tell me if I am protected under the Data protection act as I am not on any licence only the sex offenders register.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Are they going to find anything?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No but I am concerned that they might put something there when they check?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Well, as they say, it is voluntary. You don't have to agree therefore. Obviously teh refusal to do so may well affect their attitude towards you and their willingness to spend resources upon you. Generally that is a bad thing.

I wouldn't suggest aggravating them if I were you.

Can I clarify for you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
you can clarify but I am still concerned that they are not like my other ppu officers who gave me confidence that they were there to help .I FEEL VERY VULNERABLE
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Ok. So what is your question?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are there any laws to protect me under the data protection act and if there are can you quote them to me?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

No, because the DPA doesn't apply as this is the detection of crime.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

It is as I've said above.