12826847

My boyfriend left his gmail account open on a work computer.

When he returned to the computer he saw that our personal emails have been moved to a folder and he has had 2 text messages from an unknown number saying the emails will be published if he doesn't pay some money. What should he do?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Has he reported this to his employer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Does he have any idea who may be behind this? I presume it may be someone from the office?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he has no idea. Initially he thought his computer was hacked but he contacted gmail and they said it hadn't, it was left signed in.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

ok this may be more of a criminal issue to do with blackmail so I will pass it on to a criminal law colleague of mine - she will reply as soon as she is available, should be later on today, thanks. No need to reply in the meantime as it will just refer the question back to me, thanks

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I've been asked to help. What does he want to achieve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To find out who it is and stop the emails being distributed
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Are the emails sensitive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Intimate emails between the 2 of us
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Why hasn't he reported this to the police?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because he got a caution from the police earlier in the year before I met him and is scared as also on probation with work.
I suggested the police but he said no.
That's why I'm asking you. I think he will go if a lawyer says it's the right thing to do
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, that could be a problem.

Ultimately this is a blackmail which is a police matter. There is no other way of enforcing a blackmail.

Of course, the fact of a report and a prosecution does not mean they will not share this information and you need to be alive to that.

Without a report to the police though there is not a great deal that can be done.

It is quite unlikely the police are going to do IP searches on the sender of these emails as that is fairly labour intensive but at least they could send some responses deterring them.

The only other alternative is to seek the IP address from the provider but that is expensive and also it doens't achieve anything per se.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that's all clear. Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice