12826847

My son has been suspended from college for threatening

Customer Question

My son has been suspended from college for threatening behaviour against another student. The Police were called and my son was arrested. He was later released without charge.
The college requested a background check on my son and received an offence summary.
All the offences list took place over 5 years ago, didnt result in custodial sentence and were when my son was under 17.
I am concerned that the Police gave this information as the College seem to be using this historical information to form part of the case against my son.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did the Police have the right to give this information without my sons permission?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

How do you know they provided this?

Did the college ask?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
34;The college requested a background check on Daniel and we received an offence summary.
No details of crimes were given it was just a list of categories, such as total number of convictions, total number of various offences."
Excerpt from email sent by the colleges Head of Residence
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Im sorry I have to go out in a minute. Could you please email me your response when you have it? ***@******.***
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Ok. But why did they request a background check?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Following his arrest on the first night I think.
He has his first disciplinary meeting tomorrow and we will know more. I think that following their decision, which is likely to be expulsion, I may make a complaint that they have discriminated against him for having a spent criminal record. I know that he has been treated differently because of it and would always be viewed with suspicion if he returns.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What would you like to know about this today please?