How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31034
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am a tenant of the local council. Just over 4 years ago I

Customer Question

Hi, I am a tenant of the local council. Just over 4 years ago I replaced our front garden with a car hardstand.
I completed the council's alteration documents and after some discussion this work was approved.
At the same time I replaced a broken boundary fence. I didn't ask for permission to do this as it was a like-for-like repair.
A few months ago I was contacted by the council asking me to lower my fencing because it is higher than 1 metre, it is actually 1.7m, and contravenes planning because it is next to a highway
Having explained this is not an alteration, and that I had spoken to County Council planning I didn't need planing permission they have sent me another letter stating that the fence is considered a new installation and permission is required for both planning and an alteration to their property and I am expected to lower the fence as requested.
They have stated this is a misunderstanding but it seems a little unfair given I did everything to make sure my alteration met planning and council requirements and I wondered if I could stop them forcing me to reduce my fence?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 6 months ago.


Whilst the fencing may be in accordance with planning you may be in breach of you tenancy agreement. It may stipulate in the agreement that you need landlord's consent. If so then the council can request it be altered.

Do you have a copy of the agreement? I can check the terms of it znd advise.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for the response.
I don't have to hand, and can't find on their website, a copy of my tenancy agreement but I have attached the guideline and web page requirements.
I've also included all other correspondence to date to give the fuller picture.
Looking at the wording on the website it would appear your thoughts are correct, however, having replaced a fence I didn't originally install at my own cost, informing them the build was completed 4 years and not having any concerns shown at that time still leaves me with the possibility for paying again for the removal, hoping they approved the replacement and paying again for replacing the replacement
They way I read the second letter seems to suggest the 1m is necessary due to "planning"?
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thanks. I will review the docs and come back to you during the day.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure why this was closed as I'm still waiting for a reply!
However, as an update I have confirmed with the council planning that they do not require anything from me, I have completed and had approved the Alteration application and finally today I spoke to the Housing Trust's manager.
He is now trying to tell me its the highways agency that object to the fence.
It appears my neighbour has appealed against not being allowed his own driveway and someone is trying to force it through.
I've spoken to the highways agent I met a few months ago and he has also confirm there is no issue with the fence.
So the question now is under what legal right could the highways agency expect the fence to be lowered?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions