29905560

I'm a subcontractor and had my contract terminated over the

Customer Question

I'm a subcontractor and had my contract terminated over the phone on the grounds of disrespecting the company - am I within my rights to know why/how I've disrespected the company?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

How long ago did this occur? Please can you also tell me how long you were subcontracting for? Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happened 4 days ago. I have subcontracted with the company since April 2015 on 2 separate contracts, newest one started July 18th
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your patience. From a legal perspective you do not have the right to be told of the reasons for termination. This right only exists formally in the case of employees with over 2 years’ service, in which case they have the right to be told of the reasons for dismissal in writing. As you are a subcontractor and not an employee and also do not have 2 years’ service you do not enjoy this right so the employer is able to terminate your contract without having to provide any reasons.

You may have a right to know the reasons under contract so you should check the contract you were working under to see if it places a requirement on the employer to provide you with a reason on termination. If it does and they have failed to do so then you can accuse them of acting in breach of contract to try and get them to provide the reasons.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you