Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Me and my partner got married 4 weeks ago. By our contract

Customer Question

Me and my partner got married 4 weeks ago. By our contract we were obliged to pay in full, prior to the wedding which we did. We had our wedding at the venue and left to are knowledge fully paid up.
However 4 weeks after the wedding I have had an email saying that the card machine payment we made on the day, didn't take out the full balance, and we still owe £535.
When we made the payment we immdietly got a receipt for the final payment, via email.
So my question is; are we abbliged by law to make this extra payment, even though the contract for our wedding is technically expired?
Chris
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear *****, until final performance has occurred under the contract for the wedding, the contract is not expired. Accordingly, until such times as the wedding venue gets paid what it is due, the contract still remains unperformed on your part, so it has not expired. You will have to pay the amount due for the contract to be expired. Until then, you still owe payment so the contract has not been fully performed on your side and so it remains to be fulfilled. So, you can be sued for the outstanding balance and a court will award the sum due to the wedding venue.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. It makes no difference that you might have got an email suggesting that payment has been received. If the facts show otherwise, you still have to make payment in full until the amount has been paid.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

3. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you Rate or Accept the answer your Expert will not receive payment for answering your question.