Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I jointly owned a house with my wife,we got divorced 6 years

I jointly owned a house with my wife,we got divorced 6 years ago but we never changed
the joint owner ship of the house, I still lived in the house untill 4 years ago then i moved
out. We stayed the best of friends.She past away on the 14th of August 2016, she did not have a will. The house is still in joint names.Now that she has past away what do i have to do about the house? I would very much like your help.
Sincerley
***** *****
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Do you know if the property was held as joint tenants or tenants in common?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was as joint tenants.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. As you were joint tenants, the whole property automatically passes to you, unless there was a previous financial settlement as part of the divorce which awarded her the home. If there was no financial settlement, the property would automatically transfer to you and does not form part of her estate for distribution under intestacy rules. You can see the guidance here for removing her name from the title: https://www.gov.uk/update-property-records-someone-dies/update-property-records-someone-dies

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.