31090051

In March my security company delivered a box of CCTV

Customer Question

In March my security company delivered a box of CCTV equipment worth £3,530 + VAT to a house I’m currently renovating. The house is uninhabited because it’s basically a building site, and has several trades working there daily. The owner of the security company states that he placed the box in the conservatory, where all the furniture is being stored during the works. The conservatory is not lockable from the rest of the house.
He left no delivery note. He did not obtain a signature from the builder who’s in charge of the works. He told no-one that he had put the box in there. He did not tell me either before or after he delivered it. In July, he visited the works again and found the box wasn’t there.
He thinks I should bear the cost of replacing this equipment. I think he should.
Are you able to shed light on who is liable? Many thanks, Judith
Expert:  JGM replied 10 months ago.

Presumably his contract is to supply and fit the equipment. He hasn't done so. You aren't responsible for goods stored on your property. If the builder's materials were stolen you wouldn't be responsible for that. This is the same situation. He is responsible for the equipment until it is supplied and fitted. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.