I am being sued by a racing Tipster who I subscribed to. I

I am being sued by a racing Tipster who I subscribed to. I wrote to a company called the sports investment alliance notably someone who calls himself the judge.
I was not getting emails from this person after sending endless emails telling them this.
I contacted them to see if they could do anything & warn other people about this service.
Today I logged on to my email account and had an email from PayPal telling me my a payment was made to this company via my credit card.
I logged onto PayPal account and said this was an unauthorised payment. PayPal agreed and refunded my account.
I have since had a heated argument with this person who has said he is going to sue me £5000 plus costs for defamation after reading the comments I sent to the judge.
Where do I stand
Mike Sayers
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Is this a private individual or are they trading as a business? If they are trading as a business, please can you provide the business details? Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
X22 or Viking racing run by ***** *****
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I experienced some temporary connection issues and could not get back on the site until now. All appears to be resolved now so I can continue dealing with your query.

Defamation claims are extremely difficult to pursue. Many people are intent on suing for defamation without having any appreciation of the law behind them, so I will try and clear things up for you now.

First of all, certain conditions must be met for the statement to be classified as defamatory. These are:

1. The statement has to be untrue.

2. It must directly identify the complainant.

3. It must have been published, usually communicated to at least another person.

4. It must be in a form of words, which would tend to lower the claimant in the estimation of ‘right thinking members of society generally', expose the claimant to hatred, contempt or ridicule, or cause the claimant to be shunned or avoided.

5. Its publication has caused or is likely to cause serious harm to the reputation of the claimant.

Whilst it may be easy to prove that defamation has occurred, the legal process of pursuing such a claim is extremely complex and expensive. As this goes through the High Court, you would need the professional help of specialist defamation solicitors and the costs are undoubtedly going to run into the thousands right at the outset. Also there is no legal aid available for such claims so the complainant must fund these personally. So when you hear about defamation claims being made, these are usually pursued by big corporations or celebrities who have a public image to protect.

You must also consider whether you can defend the claim. Even if they satisfy the criteria to prove the statement was defamatory it could be defended on a number of grounds, including by providing evidence that the statement was substantially true or an honest opinion. So you could also be able to have a defence to this.

I would say that the chances of them suing you and then actually winning are relatively low. They may just be making threats without actually intending on suing you – only time will tell and you cannot prevent that from happening but at least you will have a decent defence should you need it.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'