Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have been living in uk for 6 years, been paying tax all

Hi. I have been living in uk for 6 years, been paying tax all the time. I want to apply for uk residence, for my family (wife, 2kids). What form shall we fill in, and what documents we shoul send to home office to get residence? Thank you
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

1. Dear Octavian, can you provide some more information please. What nationality are you and what passport do you hold? What visa(s) have you and your family been on for the last six years in the UK?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. We all got Romanian passports. Children been born here, they got UK birth certificates, and Romanian pasports.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We been here since 2002, been paying tax for 16 years, but from 2002-2010 we stayed here with an expared vizas, and from 2011-2016- with Romanian passports. Children are 7and 8 years old.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry, been paying tax for 14 years

2. Dear Octavian, the first thing you need to do is to apply for a Permanent Residence card for yourself and your wife. Essentially, you need to hold this for a period of one year before you can apply for UK citizenship. This is because you need ot be able to show you were visa free for a period of one year before you apply for UK citizenship. Here is a link to the application form for a Permanent Residence card and guidance https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apply-for-a-document-certifying-permanent-residence-or-permanent-residence-card-form-eea-pr

3. In one year's time yourself and your wife can apply for UK citizenship. Here is a link to the UK Government website where you can find details of how to apply https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/check-if-you-can-apply

4. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you Accept or Rate your answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. What form to fill in, to get residence, if been here only 3-4 months, and paying tax? Romanian passport as well?

5. Look at the link I gave you. It has the application form for Permanent residence. However, if someone has only been in the UK 3-4 MONTHS, they can still use the same form for Permanent Residence. However, be aware that this Permanent Residence card only evidences your residency. Under the EU Treaty, all Romanian nationals, or persons with a Romanian passport have the right to live and work in the UK without any need for a visa or residency card.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.