Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My ex-partner has entered my house, he is not named on the

Customer Question

my ex-partner has entered my house, he is not named on the mortgage, and removed furniture and light fittings. Plus our sons cotbed and furniture from his room. He was given permission to enter the garage only to remove items from there only. He did this whilst I was out of the country. What is my position. Thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you foe your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you in England or Wales?

-Are/were you married?

-Who gave permission and was this under a court order?

-Were the items bought by him?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Am in England. Not married. No permission given, no court order. Items bought by him
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. He would have committed a trespass by entering the property without your permission but if he took items that he bought and are his solely, then it will be difficult to attempt to pursue him for this.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for but if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Items were not solely his. i.e furniture, light fittings, childs bed. These are for use of the family.
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Were they solely paid for and purchased by him?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No they were not and he took things that definitely did not belong to him.
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. Firstly you should contact the police on their non-urgent line (101) as taking things that are not his and entering the home without your permission are criminal offences. If they cannot recover the items or assist, you should write a formal letter to him requesting their return by a certain date, after which you should pursue a court application to your local county court for the court to make an order - you can do this using form N1 and a £355 court fee.