How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10537
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

If we are EU immigrants and lived in the UK for 9+ years, do

Resolved Question:

If we are EU immigrants and lived in the UK for 9+ years, do we have to apply for full residence first or apply for British citizenship straight away?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

1. Dear *****a, you first need to obtain a Permanent Residence card and hold it for one year, before you can obtain British citizenship. This is because it is a requirement that you be visa free in the UK for one year before you apply for citizenship of the UK. The only way you can prove this fact is if you hold a Permanent Residence card for the necessary one year period.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

2. Here is a link to the necessary forms for the application for a Permanent residence card together with guidelines

Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

3. Please Accept or rate the answer as unless you Accept or Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you