Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My uncle who is 96 has been advised to rewrite his will

Customer Question

My uncle who is 96 has been advised to rewrite his will because it is 30 years since he last made his will and nearly all the beneficiaries named in the original will have passed away.my question is as he wants me to be excertor to his will would I be allowed to write his will out to the beneficiaries he wants to leave gifts and the residue to be left to named family members.because his writing is very bad he finds it very difficult to write anymore.would I be allowed to write his will out and he can sign it and get to two independent witnesses
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi, it would be perfectly acceptable for you to write the Will, provided it is signed and witnessed correctly. With home made Wills, the Probate Registry often ask for one or both of the witnesses to sign a declaration that the Will had been executed correctly.

You of course could not act as a witness, and nor should anyone who is going to benefit from the Will or any beneficiaries spouse.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank your reply today.I have been to see my uncle this afternoon with two independent witnesses.I helped to write his for him and put the names of those people he wanted to give gifts to and also the names of the other beneficiaries he wants to leave the residue of his estate.my only error I made was in his funeral arrangements he wants his ashes to be put with his late wife's.I worded it I wish to put wife my wife's ashes instead of my late wife's ashes.will I have to rewrite the will again.thank you regards ***** *****

Hi Colin,

Under no circumstances should the signed and executed Will be altered. I am afraid you will need to prepare a new Will.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again for your answer as I haven't altered anything would the will be still accepted as it is I've put the word wife and not with

Hi Colin,

Provided the current wording makes it clear to anyone reading it, that will be fine!

Kind Regards

Al