Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

We are a UK-based company and have an idea for a mobile app

Customer Question

We are a UK-based company and have an idea for a mobile app and accompanying process for use in healthcare. We have checked the market for competition and have found a very similar solution which already exists in the US. This company has a patent granted for the process. This patent is registered in the US only. Does their patent apply in the UK?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. An app would not be capable of being registered as a patent in the UK - it would be protected by copyright. I think you be fine to create your own app from scratch with a similar concept, but you would not be able to trade in the United States. Can you tell me anymore about the app? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to the details of the patent held by our US competitor: http://safebabybmt.paragondsi.com/the-safebaby-patent/I think the thing we are concerned about patenting is the process rather than the app. The process is essentially using printed barcode labels to track expressed breast milk in containers. You can see all the details of the Safebaby solution on their website. Our solution is a little different and aimed purely at the UK, with potential expansion to Europe.Should we be worried about this US patent?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. Have you copied the technology at all? Kind regards AJ