12826847

Can a partner of 26 years be denied truthful & full info on

Customer Question

Can a partner of 26 years be denied truthful & full info on her partner's health condition, when he has given permission for this to happen?
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Could you explain a little more about the background to the question please

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My partner has pleaded guilty but is unsentenced. He has developed severe depression & has been prescribed some form of medication. My primary concern, however, is to know the true facts on his medical condition. I managed at one point to get a named nurse manager as a monthly contact, although she will not give me facts. I want to know if secondary cancer has been confirmed, if so at what stage, any proposed treatment, & importantly, is my partner aware? I will need to support him on my visits (only two per month are permitted). The difficulty of trying to find the truth is very distressing.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He has been transferred from a shared cell to the health care unit
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Who is actually treating him - is it a local hospital?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
A hospital local to the prison
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He is taken on a chain, despite being elderly, for investigative tests & then returned to prison
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Have you spoken to the Oncologist at the hospital?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have no idea who the Consultant is - just that it is the Urology Unit. I cannot imagine that they would divulge confidential info. to me, when I am unable to be present during my partner's visits, & they would only have my word that I am, who I claim to be.
Since my partner has developed memory problems, he will not be able to ask/confirm at the hospital either. He is totally overwhelmed by the whole prison environment, not even knowing when he has an appointment. Two officers just appear and tell him he is "going out"!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do I have the legal right as next of kin, and partner of so many years, to ask for an appointment at the hospital and/or the prison, to speak to a visiting GP?
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Has your partner still got mental capacity?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He is being treated at the prison for what I assume is depression. I was told several months ago he might be referred to a Memory Clinic for Dementia assessment. As far as I am aware ( given my problem is to obtain any REAL and honest info) that this has not happened.
His response to questions and in general conversation is slow. I am aware under a Mental Health Act, from research I have carried out, that Next of Kin & his permission to divulge to me, is not an automatic right, however, at this point, my primary concern is to be told of his physical health and and where he is with tests/ any proposed treatment.
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Have you asked the prison the name of the specialist treating him?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They will not tell me, in fact, I cannot get anyone to speak to me. I will be spending today, trying to speak to the prison Health Care Deptford.
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Ok let us approach it a different way.

You are on record at the prison as his next of kin.

In the past you will have been on health records as his next of kin.

You know the name of the hospital he visits.

is all that true?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

How often do you visit your partner?