31090051

Can a turkish lawyer take me (uk resident) to court for non

Can a turkish lawyer take me (uk resident) to court for non payment of Turkish court fees if I don't have any assets in Turkey?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

There are no recognition or enforcement treaties between the U.K. And Turkey. For that reason if the court order is Turkish it is very unlikely that they could enforce it in the U.K. The reason I say unlikely as opposed to "can't" is that there has been past recognition of judgments in some cases, noteably under International Private and Procedural Law (IPPL) relating to enforcement of UK judgments in Turkey. See http://www.mondaq.com/turkey/x/262222/International+Courts+Tribunals/Recognition+And+Enforcement+Of+UK+Judgments+In+Turkey. However, you have to be aware that there would be nothing to stop the creditor in Turkey from coming to the UK court and raising a new court action there for payment of their costs. Whether they would go to the effort is another question but it is certainly a route that would be open to them. Jurisdiction would be established simply by your UK residence. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** wait to see what action they take next.