29905560

Someone owes me money. can i ask him to sign a legally

Customer Question

someone owes me money. can i ask him to sign a legally binding acknowledgement of debt? do you have a template?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

You cannot force someone to sign such a document, even if they genuinely owe you money. They would only sign it if they agree to do so and that decision rests entirely with them. So whilst you may ask them to do so, you cannot force them to.

However, from a legal perspective you do not need such a document in order to pursue a debt or to make it legally enforceable. If a debt was genuinely incurred then a contract would have been forced through the actions of the parties so it can be enforceable even if there was absolutely nothing in writing. Of course having something in writing can be useful in terms of evidencing what is owed and any other terms of the debt but it is not legally required.

This is your basic legal position. I can direct you to a template you may use, so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
many thanks, ***** ***** can i use please?

Thank you. You will need a template for a promissory note. You can generate one here:

https://www.lawdepot.co.uk/contracts/promissory-note-form/#.V-Dus5grJhE

You get a template displayed at the end and whilst you can sign up for a free account to download it, what you could do is just type out the generated template in a document so you create the document that way, rather than download it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
many thanks!

You are welcome