Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Have a broken copyright law by retelling the story in a

Customer Question

Have a broken copyright law by retelling the story in a business novel, then explaining the confusing bit, then adding a half-dozen examples of the lessons applied?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

A derivative work is a work that is based on (derived from) another work; for example a painting based on a photograph, a collage, a musical work based on an existing piece or samples, a screenplay based on a book.

You do need permission - Legally only the copyright owner has the right to authorise adaptations and reproductions of their work - this includes the making of a derivative work.

They are exceptions to this:

Permitted use would be within an school, or If copyright has expired (70 years or the work will be in the public domain. Otherwise you will need permission.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jamie. I've read a lot of stuff about this - on the internet - that says that it's fair use if you've transformed the work into something new. I put a lot of effort into adding comments and clarifications and even criticism. I essentially retold the highlights of the story like a play, missing much of the story out, and simplifying it.Does that help? (If not I'll abandon it)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's ignorantly more than a summary book. People will understand the original book much better after they've read my retelling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not ignorantly - significantly!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

There is always a risk of course. But if its changed significantly and you are only using the original idea and its minimal you should be ok

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you mind if we had a quick phone chat?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

I can but you would need to accept the additional service for that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can chat anytime Jamie. My number is07584 992025
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Thanks§