12826847

I was rang by police to say my 14 year old son was accused

I was rang by police to say my 14 year old son was accused of sexual assault 18 months ago by a girl who then dropped the allegation 2 months later and that it's only this week they have managed to locate him (strange seeing how we live local )or identify him. They say they need him to provide a statement to close their file on this. I've confronted my son yesterday whom we are strict with without being overbearing and he swears blind he knows absolutely nothing of this event. Should I bring a solicitor to the police station with us ???
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

How do you know she dropped the allegation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because the policewoman who contacted me said so and she just needs to hear his side of the story b4 she can close the file
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've no idea even who the girl is that made the allegation but we're told kyle knows her ....surly she would know where that he is a local lad I'm afraid incase it's not him at all.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Oh yes, but it just isn't their priority. They are not under time pressure with a case of this kind.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

So they have taken their time about it.

It might even be that they have reviewed it recently.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Time really isn't an issue here. The issue is whether he should comment.

The officer is talking nonsense. They don't need his account at all. They might well prefer to have it but that is a different issue. If the matter is genuinely closed then it is a complete waste of public money and, in fact, an unlawful arrest.

The reality is that it will not be closed.

If he is going to deny the allegation then he should probably answer questions. If not then he should answer no comment.

A prepared statement might be better though. Reduced opportunity to say something contrary to interest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you I just needed a legal opion as to whether she was being straight with me or not. Seems like she's not thank you for your help
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, she may not understand the distinction. She won't be lying.

But you should not underestimate the risk that he faces. They can always summons his accuser.

Their game may be in the hope he admits the offence so he could be given a caution to improve their statistics.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's exactly why I'm taking it very serious thanks again
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely right.

Do not make it easy for them.