29905560

I have a problem with a land rover garage with some work

Customer Question

I have a problem with a land rover garage with some work they are doing on my Range Rover
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I took my 10 year old Range Rover to a Land Rover dealership for a health test before I drove it from Cheshire to Alicante for a family holiday, I like to have a piece of mind that the car is road worthy for 3000 miles round trip. I made an appoinmtent with the garage two weeks before my trip, they came back with a list of things that ought to be done in general, boot catch was slightly sticky, brakes needed replacement, a few other bits and bobs...they also mentioned that the car had non orinigal coolant in the engine and advised that it be replaced with Land Rover coolant, I agreed to them changing it ( a previous garage non landrover must of put that in) they know more than me hence why the car was in there for a health check. Also they mentioned that the horn was not working at its full potential something that I have never noticed, but they said they would put it right. The car has been in the garage for a month now, they had to lend us a brand new Land Rover Discovery courtesy car as they couldnt get the horn to work at all after they starting investing the problem, as the horn did not work it was deemed unroadworthy, also the genuine coolant that they put in to the car caused the cooling system to not work properly. Before we drove to spain in their courtesy car 3 sept, they were very agreessive on the phone and basically said that it was our fault that the horn had an issue, they refered to previous work done by another garage as " a butchers job" they also demnaded to know who had worked on the car before I started using an authentic Land Rover garage. I bought the car second hand, I have all documented invoices from previous work done at my local garage, I have never had the horn investigated nor any work done on it. The car did not have a problem with the coolant but Land Rover created that problem. So a month on, we are back from Spain, and the car is now fixed apparently, however I need to know where we stand legally because I imagine the invoice will be around £5k which they will expect in full upon collecting the vehicle, do I have any legal rights to argue the toss or is it my fault for asking them to check the health of the car. To clarify there was not a problem with the cooling system, and the horn did work it was just slightly higher pitched than a horn that it works at it maximum.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can You confirmyou have recieved my detailed problem please
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Was this a separate garage that performed this work?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The non original coolant and the horn were done at another garage, the horn I have no idea where because I didnt know and the coolant presumably at my local garage
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Im not sure what you mean?

Surely you took it in?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i took the range rover to land rover, they picked up on the fact that non original land rover coolant had been put in the car by another garage and it ought to be changed, the non original/authentic would of been put by the previous garage that I used. The coolant has been working fine but Land Rover didn't like that fact it wasn't their brand and it ought to be the proper stuff. The horn clearly was worked on before I owned the car ( that is now apparent) obviously something happened to the horn and it wasn't repaired properly, Land Rover pointed this out, tried to repair it but actually made it not work at all, so as the horn didn't work, we couldn't drive the car as that is illegal, so we couldn't drive our own Range Rover to Spain we can to use their car.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry for the typo ...we had to use their car*. Also their recommended Landrover coolant caused the car to reject the coolant and therefore didn't work as it should however they say that is fixed but they will bill us for that also
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** my colleague has asked me to assist with your query as it is more my area of law. When you have entered into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:

· Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession);

· Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time has been agreed); and

· Provided at a reasonable price (unless a specific price has been agreed).

In addition, any information said or written is binding where the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or about the results to be achieved.

If there are problems with the standard of work, or any of the above, you will have certain rights:

1. The garage should either redo the parts of the service which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to you. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing you significant inconvenience.

2. If redoing the work is impossible or cannot be done within a reasonable time or without causing significant inconvenience, you can claim a price reduction. The price reduction would depend on how severe the issues are and could be as much as the full cost of the work.

3. If the service has been performed so badly that it would be unreasonable to expect the consumer to give the garage a second chance, you may be entitled to claim the cost of remedial work by another garage.

The key here is what caused the problems in question. There could be some contributable liability on your part if you provided them with a car which once work had begun, was simply not in a condition to be repaired via the usual methods and had made their work much more difficult. You may have your own claim against the garage that did undertake that work in the past but that would depend how long ago it was done and if they had actually done something wrong.

As this is going to be a technical dispute you may have to seek the opinion of an independent third party qualified to comment on such matters, such as another reputable LR garage. If it can be shown that the condition you left the car in had clearly contributed to the issues experienced, then you would have shared liability and whilst you may not necessarily be responsible for the full bill, you may have to cover a proportion of it.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will see wht the garage say when we collect the vehicle and get back to you about it

ok no problem, thanks