Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I am managing a building site for a private client. We have

Customer Question

Hi, I am managing a building site for a private client.
We have not signed any contracts for the work.
Now the client wants full audit of the work done. We have prepared and ready to submit the documentation.
As we have dealt with his wife on this job he was not aware what was going on.
Now he wants to take full charge of the site but is giving us a problems.
Also he wants to bring his people in to do the work and now is keen to find problems in our work.
I would like to find out what are my rights and how can I chalenge him.
Thank you in advance.
Dimitar Dragnev
Expert:  Alex J. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Is the scope of your work written down anywhere? In emails etc? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No...there was no scope of works as the client was giving the work on daily basis as such.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. Technically the contract could be terminated at anytime. Your main right is to be paid for the work you have completed and for any work in progress that has been completed. Are you owed any money? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
but now he is trying to find defects so he can claim back.
The other problem is that he is using direct the subcontractors I have used and personaly I think this is a conflict of interest....
Expert:  Alex J. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. If he wants to deduct money for defects, he would have to prove this, he cannot force you to repay monies already paid. If you deny the defects in respect of monies owed then you will have to sue him to recover the money. If he is using sub contractors that he alleges caused the defects, then yes this is a conflict and really undermines his argument of defects. Can you actually carry on working with him?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Alex, thank you for the answers.
At the moment in therms he is with me I would not like to continue wirking.
I am submiting all the paper work on Friday and preparing the final accounts for Friday too.
I am not doing any work for him but as I have said he has talks with the subcontractors and they are carrying the work....now it would be problem who is responsible for what.
On Friday I am planing to inform him officially that I would not be responsible for any works done.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. The subcontractors will be working for him directly when he instructs them and they invoice him directly. You need to tell the sub contractors that you will not give them any further instruction and are no longer liable for any future work you have not instructed them to do. In relation to the client, you are entitled to terminate the verbal contract - you need to send him a final bill for your costs and if he refuses to pay you will have to consider suing him. Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Alex.
Dimitar
Expert:  Alex J. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you. ***** can assist any further please let me know. In the mean time I would be most grateful for any feedback. Kind regards AJ

Alex J., Solicitor
Experience: Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Alex, what are your rates if I deside to use your services?
Dimitar
Expert:  Alex J. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. We cannot accept direct instructions on this site. You need a debt recovery solicitor, this does not have to be anyone based in an expensive area (i.e London) - contact the Law Society www.lawsociety.org.uk and they will be able to recommend someone near to you. Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.