How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5059
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

18/09/2016 I was arrested. 17/09/2016 I celebrated a friends

Resolved Question:

18/09/2016 I was arrested. 17/09/2016 I celebrated a friends birthday, that night I consumed a lot of alcohol and finished drinking early hours of the morning. After sleeping for a short period I decided to drive home (I live 40 mins away) and I crashed my car roughly 30 mins into the journey. My car is a write off but no damage was caused to any other cars or people. The people were called and shortly after I was arrested then taken to the police station where I blew 86(UG) of breath. I have no prior convictions and I work for the MOD as a learning centre adviser. I am currently living in Merthyr Tydfil and I have recently bought a house in Swansea. I work in Brecon and transport links are very bad from both places to work. My court date is 06/10/2016. Can you please provide some advice? Also what ban am I likely to get? Do you know if being on bail/having a driving conviction will affect me when applying for another civil service job?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear you dont have any other driving convictions at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back to me. No, none at all.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

The sentencing bracket is 60-89. You can expect to get a fine and a disqualification between 17 – 22 months.

You can reduce the disqualification by 25% if you complete a drink drive course.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was information I was able to find online. As mentioned I am concerned about applying for another civil service job, can you provide any info on this? And also any advice on going to court, I will be pleading guilty so will i need a solicitor or any character references? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also is the accident i had likely to make the ban/fine larger or affect the ruling in any way?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

No, you wont need character reference or a Solicitor as it wont make any difference.

If you plead guilty you can expect 1/3rd off any fine and a reduction in the disqualification period.

The fact you had an accident is an aggravating feature, but you have not been charged with anything else.

It is a recordable offence so you will need to declare it, until it becomes spent, unless its an exempted post.

So you need to check first.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to keep you, last question. When i do declare it, will this go against me compared to other applicants applying? (even if the offence is not related to the role in any way)
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If they were to consider two identical candidates and one had a conviction - it may go against you.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your time. I'll rate you now.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

All the best and thanks