12826847

It is likely that a neighbour's cat is a carrier of cat flu.

Customer Question

It is likely that a neighbour's cat is a carrier of cat flu. The cat lives in my garden 24/7. I am told (by other neighbours) that it is not allowed in its own home. My cat is vaccinated but is stressed by the other cat who runs into my house and eats her food every time I open the door, sneezing everywhere. It also makes contact with my rabbits in the garden who are not vaccinated against cat flu. The owner is evasive and unco-operative. She will not tell me who her vet is and suggests I keep my doors closed. My parrots are unable to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine as they cannot go in the garden as the cat is always there. They are becoming frustrated and noisy. Personally I, too, am very stressed. No matter how many times I chase the cat or take it back it soon returns. The owners have confirmed they will not pay any of my vet bills if my animals become ill as a result. How can I protect myself and my animals without keeping everything shut indoors? Is it legal to knowingly allow a cat to roam in an area with a high density of cats when it is shedding a potentially lethal flu virus? I understand that even vaccinated cats can catch the virus.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Is there any reason you think it may not be?