Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I live in a HMO, where I rent a locked room and have access

I live in a HMO, where I rent a locked room and have access to shared facilities, a new tenant moved in and since then the council have been to visit claiming the council tax has not been paid. I thought that since the house was a HMO the landlord was liable. The visitor took a copy of a rental agreement a photographed the locks on the doors. I am worried that they will try and make me liable for the council tax (they saw my agreement as other people were out), is this possible, and am I liable? how do I proceed from here?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Does the tenancy agreement say the landlord is liable for council tax?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the particulars state that all bills and council tax are included in the rent.there's a list of check boxes saying what is included and not included and bills / ctax are marked "included"
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

OK, then you dont need to worry. If the Landlord has NOT paid the Council tax then you are not liable.

It is a matter between the Council and Landlord.

Therefore you are not liable.

Even if, for whatever reason, you decided to pay the Council Tax you could deduct it from the rent.