Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Hi We have a memorial fund which runs in junction with a

Customer Question

Hi, we have a memorial fund which runs in junction with a charity. When we first set it up it was ring-fenced to help support people in financial difficulties with funerals of people who were killed in road traffic collisions.
The actual charity is in crisis and the founder of the charity has blocked any attempts to raise funds.
We however have worked hard to raise money in memory of our daughter and on a number of occasions have bailed the charity out when asked. Although we recently came across a cheque for £6500 taken from our fund without our knowledge - it was stapled up between blank cheques.
This was to pay for a DVD we show in schools. We did agree to make a small donation towards the DVD and were told other agencies were also contributing. We certainly didn't agree to pay the full amount. The charity has made around £10k through the DVD in workshops which my husband undertakes. Not one penny has been given to my daughters fund.
They are now telling us that our fund money is rightfully theirs and with this we have now seen that the wording on our fund has been changed. We do not know when this was done and we were never consulted or told about it.
We are wanting to set up our own charity, trust or foundation ( yet to be decided ) now with the money that is left
Today they've made the two staff redundant. We offered to loan them £5k to tide them over this difficult period as the chair of the charity agreed to pay £5k every April which he has done under duress and declines to comment now when approached about it. We were turned down as they don't want to pay it back.
We don't know where we stand and it is causing us immense stress. We have worked hard to build up the money in my daughter's fund and it would be far higher if we had not assisted them when they've been in difficulties which has included paying staff wages.
We did not ever expect to have to help them. We are sad that we have not been able to put the money to better use for the purpose it was set up for.
Can you please guide or advise?
Many Thanks
Bev *********
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We would like a reply please We've now placed what is left of the money raised in another account so they can't touch it We feel sickened and betrayed by what we've uncovered lately about how they've taken that large amount without our consent We no it's not illegal what we have done as we spoke at length yesterday with two people one very much in the know about charities This was never anticipated and is causing great stress and anger Their not fit to run a charity as there is more Tho lm not sure it's relevant to our question
Many Thanks
I await a reply
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When we set up our fund it was ring fenced for the purpose of helping with financial difficulties with funerals for children from 17 /23 A meeting took place at Emsleys solicitors in Leeds This was back in 2007 They've changed the wording on our memorial
Page where it stated what the fund was set up for and are now totally denying it was ever ring fenced
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Are you saying the funds you raised are not being used for the purpose intended?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie
we have been in touch with the charity commission and sourced our answerThank you
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

All the best and good luck.