Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We moved out of our rented apartment on the 19th (2 days

We moved out of our rented apartment on the 19th (2 days ago) and on that day the landlord had her mother and brother come to do an inventory checkout rather than using the company who did the original inventory check-in.
Now they would like to arrange for the original company to come in, only the dates they want my wife and I are on holiday. In the mean time this means our deposit is locked up. Are we able to say no to the 2nd inventory as it was accepted by both parties that her mother+brother were completing this task?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much is your deposit please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie,
The deposit is £2,430.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can. They have one which was accepted.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The landlord's mother has so far refused to provide a copy of the inventory check-out that they completed. Does this pose additional problems?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

no. They are in breach of the law. They must give it back within 14 days.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perfect. Many thanks for your help.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!