Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

On the question I asked last week about my tenancy, I now

Customer Question

Hi, to follow up on the question I asked last week about my tenancy, I now have a further issue. My Landlord has requested that I pay him directly. The draft tenancy agreement I signed states that I should pay the Agency, and the Agency won't supply me a copy of the signed Tenancy Agreement, as they claim it is not their property. Where do I stand legally? I am very confused about the whole situation.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for asking for me.

Why wont the agency supply a signed copy? Its the law.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi, I went to see the agency last Friday, and asked for a copy, they said it would be no problem, and they'd sort it asap.Email on Friday 17th September
Hi there
Just to keep you in the loop, I have reiterated to Mike again that the rent will be paid to us. Here are our details *****. I cant get access to the files today, frustratingly they are kept in a secure filing cabinet, and the key has been locked in my colleagues drawer – which I don’t have the key for!
So many keys!
Have a lovely weekend, and I will be in touch on Monday,
ChloeEmail on Wednesday 21st September
I hope you are both well. Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I can confirm we have received your rent which has been transferred to Michael.
It does not say in the Tenancy Agreement about paying rent to your Landlord directly, we were not aware that he wanted to collect rent until after you had moved in. It is in fact quite usual for Landlords collect rent. We only acted for our landlord in an introductory capacity.
Whilst writing I confirm to you that as we were just instructed by the landlord to act in an introductory capacity, therefore we do not have an ongoing relationship. Therefore for all matters relating to the flat you must communicate with the landlord.
Chloe
Email received later on Wednesday 21st September after asking for a copy of the contract again.Dear Vesna
I regret that I am not able to send to document over to you as it belongs to the Landlord,
ChloeSo, it appears we don't actually have a contract for the Tenancy we're in. And it appears that neither party has signed the same contract supplied by the Agency. And it appears that the Agency have taken all of my money, and also my deposit so far as I can tell has not been put in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme, and / or neither have I been supplied the relevant information regarding the scheme by the Agency.What do I do? Following my last question to you, I asked the Agency to confirm the dates both parties signed and explained that I would be seeking to recoup the costs I had incurred. They explained that they were going to seek legal advice from their side. Which I presume they have. And now they won't supply the contract I've signed. In addition, I've just received an email stating that they have "voided" the contract I signed.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 months ago.

You can ask for a copy under the Data Protection Act 1998. They are obliged by LAW to provide it.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.