Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Have separated from my partner of 20 yrs, we have two

Have separated from my partner of 20 yrs, we have two children age 10 and 14. Living in rented accommodation which my partner pays rent instead of maintenance. I have contributed to the family household throughout our time together and saw none of the equity which was in our house that was sold 10 years ago. He co owns a property in Spain and Essex. I am being emotionally abused regarding finances and have been left to raise the children alone. Seeking advice if I have any rights . Many thanks .
Dawn
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you married?

-What are your respective incomes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His £50k +
Mine £5,000
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
01285 650 546
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks - are you/were you married to each other?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No . Never married
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. How much is the rent that he pays instead of maintenance? Have there been any agreements regarding your contributions creating a share of the equity for the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rent is £1000. We sold our house in 2006, with approx £100.000 equity which he took to invest in property with a business partner at that time and also to pay off debts he'd accrued. Nothing to do with me. I sold my own flat and put money into our joint mortgage sat that time so I feel I should be entitled to some of the equity that was made.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Was your name on the title of the property that was sold to fund his investment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

What has now happened to the £100,000?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You tell me ? Still waiting for the house he promised for myself and children.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. In the circumstances you should be entitled to a share of the equity from the sale of the home in accordance with your share as held on the title previously. You should formally write to request this payment from him and if he does not settle you will need to pursue a court application to your local county court using form N1 and a £355 court fee to seek the relevant share from the equity.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you