13262538

My wife and I are looking for advice whether it is possible

My wife and I are looking for advice whether it is possible to adopt one of her sisters children in the Philippines.
My wife is 44 years old from the Philippines, I am Dutch and 49 years. We are married and living in the UK for over 5 years now. We don't and can't have any children of our own.
Expert:  Clare replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How old is the child and where are the parents?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Clare,
The child is a new born girl of 2 weeks old, the parents live in the Philippines.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The parents have now 6 children and having difficulty supporting to all of them. We already helping one of them funding their education.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I got disconnected yesterday, I hope will you still answer my question.
Expert:  Clare replied 12 months ago.

So both parents are still alive?

Do you intend to adopt in the Philippines?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The parents are alive, they agreed for us to take care of the child. So we like to adopt in the Philippines with the intention to bring the child to the UK whenever possible. We like to be sure if it is possible before we start with our assessment for being adoptive parents.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

is your wife willing or able to move to the Philippines for say a year?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think if this is the only way we could consider this. But what will happen to her UK residents status?
At the moment her application for a permanent residence card is in progress, as she is living and working in the uk for over 5 years as a EU national family member.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

When will she receive it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We just sent the application 3 weeks ago and it is expected to take 3 to 6 months to receive her permanent residence card.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Clare,
I just received your e-mail that my question is answered, but I don't see any answer here yet.
Can I expect more of you?
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

My apologies - another answer lost to the ether I fear

Yes this is possible IF such private adoptions are legal in the Philippines.

If Family adoptions such as this are allowed there then you should have no difficulty in going through the process.

You have taken the correct step in obtaining the information pack and the next step will be to contact you local Children Services to start the process.

This is not a swift process I am afraid.

The other step you should take is to make enquiries with the authorities in the Philippines to ensure that the process will go smoothly there

It may be helpful if your wife does this in person once her Permit is through

Please ask if you need further details