Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

How can i check if i have paid vat on a fancy diamond from a

Customer Question

how can i check if i have paid vat on a fancy diamond from a company that has since gone into administration
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. You will have only paid VAT if you received a VAT invoice. If you received and it did not mention anywhere you had to pay VAT you are entitled to assume that the price is inclusive of any tax. Is the administrator demanding the VAT from you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no a company who is selling my diamond has told me that the vat had not been paid and has asked for the vat to be paid to them in advance of selling it for me but this seems a bit odd.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how can i check that this company that have a company registration number that i have checked out are legitimate
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
because this is really getting to be a major problem for me
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. My apologies for the delay. Do you have all the certificates? What evidence do they actually want to see? Do you have the original invoice? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have the original documents but there is no reference to any vat payments on the paperwork
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. If there was no VAT on the invoice, then you are entitled to assume was included in the price. What evidence have they asked for? You have the certificate and are the legal owner of the diamond - if they wont accept this can you use another broker?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They have not asked for evidence so what evidence would they have?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 months ago.

Hi Thank you. The only evidence they would need is your invoice proving payment. I don't how else they could know that VAT was not paid.