Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I received an email today from a company stating that i had

I received an email today from a company stating that i had used a copyright image, without a license, on my website.
It was put in a page a few years ago, but that page was deactivated at least a year ago, if not longer, and the photo was taken I think from google images, but can't remember because it was so long ago. To be honest, I stopped the little therapy business that my site refers to at least a year ago, and I completely forgot about cancelling the domain and hosting auto renewal.
They were referring to a picture of a Bollywood actress Ashweri Rai
Here is the email:
Image License Validation for Agence France-Presse - Reference Number: 0570-7835-1153
Dear Business Owner,
As an introduction, License Compliance Services (LCS) provides copyright compliance services to third-party content owners, including Agence France-Presse. LCS has noticed that the following imagery represented by Agence France-Presse has been displayed on your website. Agence France-Presse has been unable to find a license for this usage of the imagery by your company.
At the end of this message, we’ve attached a visual of the imagery and its use on your website.
Our goal in contacting you is to identify an active license for this use, if one exists. If you do not have an active license for the use of this imagery, we request that you remove the imagery from your website and contact us.
Please be aware that removal of the imagery will not resolve this issue. We do require payment of a settlement for past usage of the imagery at issue.
Please contact us by phone at 0800(###) ###-#### by email at***@******.*** or by visiting: https://settle.lcs.global/057078351153.
You can send us your valid license / authorisation by visiting https://settle.lcs.global/057078351153 and clicking the “I have a license…” link. We would like to resolve this time-sensitive issue as soon as possible and request that you respond within 14 days from the date of this correspondence.
If you believe you have received this notice in error or have questions, please contact us with your reference number 0570-7835-1153 at 0800(###) ###-####or***@******.***.
On behalf of LCS and Agence France-Presse, we thank you for your cooperation and look forward to assisting you in resolving this matter.
Any thoughts? is ti a scam? bit worried about legal action
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear, the webpage is now down?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Yeah it's been down for well over a year and not available for public viewing. It's been on my web space, but not public.. I've just deleted the whole page today

I would ignore it. Its not even address to you, but dear business owner.

Even if they tried to take you to Court in the UK as its a claim for £135 it would be as mall claim.

But on the basis its on a web page that has been taken down for some time, this stinks of a scam.

Do not pay. Only respond to any letters through the post.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Where did you get the £135 from?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
This is the full letter and its addressed to me:License Compliance Services Ltd. on behalf of Agence France-Presse
LCS Suite 2.07, Interchange Triangle, Chalk Farm Road
London NW1 8AB, United Kingdom
Telephone: 0800(###) ###-#### www.LCS.global22 September 2016
Via physical mail and email
The Woodland Practice - Umesh Damania
building Dental Surgery 78 Church Hill
Loughton, England IG10 1LB
United KingdomImage License Validation for Agence France-Presse - Reference Number: 0570-7835-1153
Dear Business Owner,
On behalf of LCS and Agence France-Presse, we thank you for your cooperation and look forward to assisting you in resolving this matter.Sincerely,
Tasha Kingsland
License Compliance Services
Registration no.(###) ###-#### registered in England and Wales
https://www.afp.com/en/products/partners/license-compliance-services-inc
To learn more about LCS, copyright and this specific matter please visit: https://settle.lcs.global/057078351153.
This correspondence is without prejudice to LCS’s and Agence France-Presse, rights and remedies, all of which are expressly reserved.DETAILS
________________________________________Catalog Image No. 53438305 Proof of usePage URL: http://www.thewoodlandpractice.co.uk/pages/essex-phobia-clinic.php

The £135 is when I click on the link provided. The fact they are registered in a suite suggests a shared office.

Not exactly a leading global image copyright firm.

So I would not pay it

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
what happens if they come after me or threaten legal/.court action because I've ignored their email?

It would only be a small claim.

But again I dont think you need to worry, as it would cost them more than the £135 they are seeking to claim

Does that clarify?

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.