Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have my car in a garage for general repair, they told me

I have my car in a garage for general repair, they told me that when they took it for a test drive, they had an accident, a lorry hit my car.
They said they will get it sorted.
But, I want to know, about compensation because of loss to the value of my car.
Also, I need my car because I go on holiday on Saturday and the registration is set for the car park, but if I drive it, can they deny any knowledge of damage?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is the loss in value please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would imagine that the loss could be £1000 -£1500
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That covers the compensation, but would I be o.k to drive the vehicle without possible loss of complaint, in other words, am I taking away the evidence, that they can say that ' The car was alright when it left here?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Yes it would be fine. You are not taking away evidence.

You are claiming for diminution in value.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O.k, thank you for your advice.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!