29905560

My daughter has been to a car dealership looking for a

Customer Question

Hi. My daughter has been to a car dealership looking for a particular car she'd seen online. That actual car was not there so she test drove a similar one. She has signed a vehicle order form and now that car has turned up they are saying she is legally obliged to buy it. The problem is that in the interim we've looked at alternatives at a different dealership and found a different one that better suits her requirements. The finance agreement for the first car (that she still has not even seen) has just arrived through the post.
Where do we stand. I get the feeling that they are trying to bully her into the purchase.
Trevor
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Had your daughter ordered a custom design vehicle with the first dealership?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Please can you also tell me how long it has been since she signed the order form and delivery of the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ben.
No, it is not a custom design. It's a straight forward white Ford Fiesta.
She visited the dealership on Friday 16th September.
Many thanks.
Trevor
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi there Trevor. Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your patience. if she has agreed to a finance agreement to purchase the car then under the Consumer Credit Act she has 14 days to cancel such an agreement. The 14 day cooling-off period runs from the day the agreement is concluded or if later, from when you receive a copy of the agreement.

If she agreed to the finance when she visited on 16 Sept then she should still be in a position to reject the finance and cancel it.

Even if the dealer then tries to argue that she has a separate agreement to buy th car, whether through finance or not, she can say she is simply not buying it and that they can just re-advertise it to recoup any losses they are trying to claim. If they are able to re-sell it then they would not have suffered any real losses which they can pursue her for so it is unlikely that they can pursue her for any damages.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ben hi,
thanks for the advice and my apologies for not getting back sooner. I have been waiting until I can actually conclude things with dealership number one before closing our communication. As expected they are not overly interested in answering their phones. I'd appreciate holding this open until I can get some sort of response from them. If this is going to cause a problem please let me know.
Trevor
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi there no problem at all, you are free to come back and ask follow up questions for up to 7 days so if anything progresses in that time then you are more than welcome to come back on here and I will assist. Anything over 7 days would usually require you to post as a new question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks. I will keep you informed. Enjoy your weekend.
Trevor
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

and you too, many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ben hi,I hope that you'll be pleased to hear that the dealership has reversed the purchase out and cancelled the finance. I believe that just mentioning that I had sought legal advice was part of their change of attitude. I thank you again for your advice and I hope that many more problems sent your way are this easily resolved.SincerelyTrevor
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi Trevor, great news and thanks for taking the time to update me. We rarely hear about outcomes on customers we have helped so it is nice to get feedback like this from time to time. All the best