Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I bought a new build property from Bovis and moved in on

Hi, I bought a new build property from Bovis and moved in on 30/09/2016. I identified and presented a number of snags to the site manager. One of which was improperly and dangerously installed stairs. It took a number of months, but eventually, the subcontractor admitted liability to Bovis and agreed to put it right. The work took place early July and took longer than agreed. Instead of a week, Bovis were given access for 4 weeks. Fortunately I accommodated this and was promised a quality finish and some undisclosed compensation for the inconvenience. At no time did Bovis allow me to communicate directly with the sub contractor. I was promised redecorating, new stair carpets and a sparkle clean as a lot of dust and mess was made. To date, none of this has been provided and the site manager is ignoring my calls and my relationship with the sales office has broken down due to broken promises. What are my options to proceed .
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is the cost of putting it right please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bovis indicated to me that the sub contractor were anticipating outplaying £2-3000 to re install the stairs. I was put up in a hotel for the first week as the house was not habitable whilst the work was being done. I took leave and spent a further 2 weeks away as the work continued. When I returned, the stairs had been re installed, and redecorating had been done. Some of it was to an unacceptable standard, no promised compensation, no cleaning, now blanking my calls.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund of this cost within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.