Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I was hit by my landlord's friend. My landlord did not ask

Customer Question

I was hit by my landlord's friend. My landlord did not ask him to leave. I did not feel safe, so I moved out. My landlord is still demanding I pay the two months rent left from the 12 month contract. He is now also pretending I damaged things in the flat and taking me to court to get this money. What shall I do?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Is it a joint tenancy?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The landlord owns the flat. I was living there in a room and sharing bathroom and living accommodation but had a bedroom to my self
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I was sharing the flat with the landlord.

ok. If you do not feel safe then you are right to move out, this is breach of contract.

As such you do not need to pay any additional rent. The landlord should keep you safe,

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
What about the things he is saying I damaged?
And, the landlord's solicitor has written to me saying that I have to pay. I wrote to the solicitor asking for the receipts. The solicitor wrote back saying I must pay within the next 6 days (the rent and the damage) or they will start charging me interest and I will have to pay court costs.
What shall I do?

they have no right, the landlord should keep you safe. The landlord did not.

Therefore you are entitled to leave. In any event even if it went to court it would be a small claim.

Does that clairfy a.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
When you say it would be a small claim, do you mean I wouldn't have to pay much. What about the damage he is pretending I have done?

Correct. He would have to show you caused the damage. I can't see how he can do that.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The solicitor says I have to pay. Is the solicitor lying?

It's a game of chess. He is protecting his client. You don't have to pay.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have just realised your company is Canadian. I am in England. Will your advice stand here?

The company is based in San Fransisco, although I am one of a team of Solicitors based here in the UK
Does that clarify?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.