Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

I would like my birth father to adopt me but I am now 52

Customer Question

Hi, I would like my birth father to adopt me but I am now 52 ,how can I do this?
Wendy
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 11 months ago.

Dear Wendy

I am sorry to tell you this but it is not possible to adopt an adult.

Michael

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is conflicting advice to another solicitor I have spoken too. Apparently it is common to do for inheritance purposes . I was adopted by my stepfather as a child but my own father wishes to re-adopt me , I have been told this is quite common ,have you read my original question correctly? Also why when it came to the payment it said I would be charged £28 then the payment has gone through for £38 ?
I await your reply with interest
Wendy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Has the above message been received?

Dear Wendy

You cannot legally adopt an adult. Google it

Best wishes

Michael

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That was quite an order i e: Google it. I wouldn't mind a bit extra explanation as I have now found a viable alternative Especially regarding inheritance. You still have not explained why I have been charged an extra £10 for which I would like an answer.
I am afraid if i do not get a very satisfactory result my review will be unfavourable.wendy

It is not possible to adopt an adult.

You can make an adult your heir , you can make them your sole beneficiary in your Will but you cannot "adopt" them. It is a very specific term and process.

Michael