propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.

Where can I trace the decisions of the rent assessment

Customer Question

Where can I trace the decisions of the rent assessment tribunal in 2002?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 30 days ago.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
The property is at*****Hackney London E5 8NS
The landlord is Mr David ****** of Stelry Limited.
The tenant is Mr Isa ****** and Mr Ali ****** . Both were former seamen of the British Merchant Navy.
In 1969 the landlord bought derelict properties for development. He made an oral agreement to Mr Isa ****** if Mr ****** was prepared to find the money to refurbish the property at***** Mr ****** can rent it at £13 15 shillings a week, at the time more than a week's wage of most workers. It was also agreed for the first six months Mr Ali was not required to pay any rent while refurbishing work was being carried out. Mr Isa ****** borrowed money from other seamen friends and got enough to pay for a new roof, new utility services like water, gas, electricity and to pay for internal refurbishment. Mr ****** , the landlord did not spend any penny to this day. Mr Isa ****** was effectively a joint developer of***** In 1990, the Hackney Council Environment Department imposed structural repairs to the property because it was unsafe. I helped the tenants to write to Mr ****** , the landlord, to pay for the cost of the structural repair of about £40,000.00 and he can increse the rent to a fairer rent. That was in 1990. The landlord ignored my letter. So the tenants continued to pay the original rent of £45.50 a month. All ongoing repairs and maintenance were paid by the tenants.
Price of property boomed. In 2002, The landlord landlord wrote to say he was ending the old rental agreement and raised the rent to £350.00 a week or he will evict the tenants. I helped the tenants to get Clinton Davis & Co of 26 Lower Clapton Road Hackney London E5 to defend the tenats at The Rent Assessment Tribunal to get a fair rent. In 2002 the Rent Assessment Committee made a decision. I do not have a copy of the decision. I am trying to trace this decision. The landlord failed to evict the tenants which implied they are protected tenants.
In May this year, the landlord wrote to me claiming for rent of about £950.00 a week for two years backdated to June 2014 when the landlord claimed he had ended the old oral agreement. Last September, 02 September 2016, at the hearing at the Clerkenwell & Shorditch Courts, the judge postponed the hearing to 05 Octber 2016 to give me time to get legal advice and to respond to their witness statement. Shelter is representing the tenants. No solicitor wants to defend me unless I can produce the decisions of the 2002 of the Rent Assessment Committee in 2002.
I am stressed. I went to Hackney Citizens Advice who advised me to call The Law Society Library in Chancery Lane. Law Society Library customer service informed me I should also contact the Solicitor Regulation Authority to trace documents from the old Clinton Davis & Co who stopped trading in 2003.
You are my last straw. Can you find the decisions of the Rent Assessment Tribunal in 2002? I do not have much time..
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 29 days ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 28 days ago.

You will need to contact the residential property tribunal service.

10 Alfred place London wc1e 7LR.

Tel 020 7(###) ###-####/p>

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
As in my letter above, I have been to the Residential Property Tribunal Service at*****London WC1 but they told me they do not keep files as far back as 2002. They only keep records from 2006. They asked me to contact The Valuation Office which I have done.
I have also contacted the Law Society Library in Chancery Lane but they told me to contact the Solicitors Regulation Authority. I hope to do it today.
Have you found a professional solicitor to trace the decision of the Rent Assessment Tribunal on property at*****Hackney London E5 8NS decided in 2002?San Sulaiman
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 27 days ago.

Unfortunately, this is a question and answer service. We cannot undertake the research you require.

I have answered you question as to where you should obtain the decision, however the residential property tribunal service do not hold records for 2002 as you found out when you contacted them.

I do not believe that the Solicitors Regulation Authority will be of much help as they do not have a library or research resources. They deal only with regulatory matters.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I am happy to pay a premium charge to any professional who can undertake to research for the decision of The Rent Assessment Tribunal in 2002
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 24 days ago.
I am a moderator for this topic.
Can I help further?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Dear Nicola
Where can I get the names of partners of Clinton Davis Pallis in 2002 when they were at 26 Lower Clapton Road London E5 0PD. I want to trace the lady lawyer who dfended the tenant at*****London E5 8NS at a Rent Assessment Tribunal in 2002.
San Sulaiman
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 21 days ago.

Unless the Law Society or Solicitors Regulation Authority keeps historical records you should tru the firm direct.

Contact details available via the website.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Dear PropertyLawyer
I have emailed Howard Raymond Pallis and Monica Healy. Both are partners of Clinton Davis None could help.I am hoping if I ask JustAnswer for the name of the lady lawyer from Clinton Davis Pallis in 2002 when their office was at 26 Lower Clapton Road London E5 0PD, I may be lucky someone may read my email and happen to know the name of the lady lawyer working at Clinton Davis Pallis in 2002.San Sulaiman
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 20 days ago.

We would not have that information.

If the law firm itself does not have it then nobody else will.

I have just thought about the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, Russell Square London. The institute has a vast, well stocked library. Try the institute as they may have the Tribunal decisions dating back to 2002.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Dear PropertyLawyerThank you for suggesting Advanced Legal Studies Russel Square London. I will contact them and will let you know how I get on. Thank you againRegards
San Sulaiman.
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 17 days ago.

How did you get on with IALS?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Dear PropertyLawyer
I have not contacted IALS yet. I had to attend the hearing at Clerkenwell and Shorditch County Court seeking to dismiss the claim from the landlord who claims a back rental of £850.00 a week backdated to June 2014. Solicitors Spence and Home defended me. He informed the court the decision of the Rent Assessment Tribunal in 2002 on the property at*****Hackney London E5 8NS has not been disclosed by the landlord. The District judge referred the case to a full trial before Christmas. Solicitor Spence and Home is also trying to trace the Tribunal decision in 2002 without much success. But I am trying to trace the name of the solicitor from Clinton Davis & Co in 2002 while they were still trading from 26 Lower Clapton Road London E5 0PD. She was a very large lady solicitor, a brilliant solicitor. Somehow she managed to stop the landlord from evicting the tenants at the Property. I know she will remember me. She can save my neck.
Today I will contact IALS and will let you know how I get on. I thank you for giving me so much help in trying to trace this ‘very large brilliant lady solicitor.

Don't suppose you remember her name?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No I don't remember her nameSan Sulaiman
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 8 days ago.

Any luck with IALS?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Dear PropertyLawyer
Institute of Advanced Legal Studies website is very good. The library opens from 9:00 am to 9;00 pm weekdays and from 10:30 am to 8:30 pm weekends, but as I am just a member of the public, I do not get get access to the library. Students of law studies do not get access either. I had to give up pursuing this line of enquiry.
However, I found a very old letter from the Association of Malaysian Commnunity to Monica Healy of Clinton Davis Cushing & Kelly of 26 Lower Clapton Road Hackney London E5 0PD in 1990 asking her to act on our behalf to defend ourselves against London Borough of Hackney against a claim of costs repairing the structure of the property at*****London E5 8NS. The original tenancy agreement was submitted to Monica Healy. A photocopy of photocopy of the Rental Agreement was found naming the tenant as Mr Isa Ali who signed the tenancy agreement with the landlord Mr David Lancod of Stelry Limited, in 1971. Clinton Davis Cushing & Kelly argued the Association of Malaysian Community was given permission by the tenant to use the basement to run services to the Malaysian Community in London. The Association was not the tenant but Isa Ali was the tenant. Hackney Council had to claim costs from the landlord, David Lancod of Stelry Limited. Unfortunately, the tenancy agreement was a photocopy of photocopy and is not very clear. The original must be with Clinton Davis Cushing & Kelly and Monica Healy works as property solicitor at the company. It is my belief that Monica Healy was that brilliant solicitor who defended the tenant at*****London E5 8NS at a Rent Assessment Tribunal in 2002. She must remember what the decision of the tribunal was in 2002. I emailed Monica Healy now the sole owner of Clinton Davis Pallis at Crouch End but receive no response from her. When I called her on the phone she told me she kept records for eight years only since 2006. This is my new line of enquiry. I am working hard at it. I am trying to get the original of the tenancy agreement. Where can I get a true copy of the tenancy agreement in 2002? Or how can I get Monica Healy to shed some light on the decision of the rent tribunal in 2002? For your information I called Solicitor Regulation Authority who had no record of lw firm called Clinton Davis Cushing & Kelly. The law firm has vanished I would like to make a search on this law firm. I wonder if the Law Society Library can help. What do you think?
Kind Regards
San Sulaiman
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 2 days ago.

Law firms destroy files after 6 years but not deeds. I wonder if the firm has a deed packet for the client/property, worth asking the firm to check to be sure.

I would doubt a library would hold a private tenancy agreement from 2002.

I also think it unlikely that there are any central records of old firms. Best chance is to find historical directories but a bit of a long shot going back to 2002.

Customer: replied 4 hours ago.
I have a court hearing in February 2017. I do not wish to close my advice request until then. I am writing again to Monica Healy of Clinton Davis Cushing & Kelly who defended me in 1990 against a claim from Hackney Council for repairs on the property at*****London E5 8NS. I want to ask her again if she can remember whether it was her who defended me again at a Rent Assessment Tribunal in 2002. I will let you know if she responds. Is she obliged to respond if I am no longer her client?San Sulaiman