Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have paid nearly £4000 for a weekend program course in

I have paid nearly £4000 for a weekend program course in November 2016 with a certain Speaker that I have been following. I have found out that even thought the event is still going ahead, the Speaker has now been changed. I am no longer interested in attending, and have requested a refund, but have been told that I cannot be refunded due to the fact that I am outside the 14 day cool off period.
Since they are not providing the speaker/program that I was interested in, surely this effects the contract?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How did you pay for the course?
What do the terms say about change of Speaker please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid by Visa Debit,"We reserve the right to make changes to the itinerary, including changes to the speakers/presenters, the venue, the date or time of the training programme at any time and without notice to you, provided that such changes do not materially alter the content of the training programme"I have contacted the speaker that we originally paid to see. She has informed me that they "cannot provide what I was planning to teach".
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You could argue that they are in breach of contract and that this term is unfair pursuant to the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In your personal opinion do you believe that I am entitled to a refund?
Also would it be possible for you to send an example/template for this letter?Any help is greatly appreciated!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

I think you have a shot yes.

All you need to do is say that you were expecting x speaker and booked on that basis. You consider their terms to be unfair that they can change the program and you consider it has materially altered the content and you want a refund. If they dont within 14 days you will go to Court.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that will help massively,thank you for your time!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!