Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I went to a solicitor to fight a false allegation motoring

I went to a solicitor to fight a false allegation motoring offence put forward by the Thames valley police I was told that if I win I would get my legal fees back they came to £1300 I won the case because it was completely un true and now my solicitor is saying that I am entitled to £712.00 back is this true that the government can make false accusations against people so that they have to fight it and then only payback a fraction of the costs involved when that person wins? Any clarification would be helpful thank you ***** *****
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mark my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Sadly yes.

What you pay as a private client is different to the legal aid rates or what the government pay out if you are entitled to costs.

So unless the Thames Valley Police made up this prosecution and it was malicious then sadly you do not get the fully amount back.
It is not the Government making false allegations the Police decided to bring a prosecution. People are found guilty and not guilty all the time in Court, but sadly you dont always get 100% of the legal costs back.

I know its unfair, but sadly that is the law as it stands.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.