Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

On Sunday night (01:10) my car was parked legally at the

Hello, on Sunday night (01:10) my car was parked legally at the side of the road. Unfortunately a police car which was in pursuit of someone lost control and hit my car. The impact was so great that my car was deemed to be uneconomical to repair. My insurance company has said I would only be able to claim for the PAV (Pre Accident Value) of the car. This now leaves me in debt to the finance company. Can you please assist and advise me.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 12 months ago.

1. Dear Dominic, all is not lost here. This is because you can claim for the full value of the debt to the finance company against the police who caused the accident. In this regard you can also claim compensation for personal injury and any other losses you might have suffered as a result of the accident. In this regard, I would advise you to see a claims specialist and seek to take legal proceedings for compensation against the police. This can include the value of the debt to the finance company. You are not limited to claiming off your own insurance. Additionally, just because you have made a claim on your own insurance, this does not preclude you from making a claim against the police.

2. So, at this juncture, you should speak with a solicitor who can take an action on your behalf against the police for the damages lost and any personal injury you might have suffered as a result of the accident. Driving into your car constitutes negligence for which the police are liable.

3. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you do so, your Expert will not receive payment for answering your question.